Reopening Schools 2020-2021
NHCS will operate under Plan C for grades pre-K through 5 with remote learning for all through January 22, 2021. Grades 6-12 will continue to operate under Plan B AA/BB schedule. Grades pre-K through 5 will transition to Plan B AA/BB schedule on January 25, 2021.
Health data will be assessed on a continuous basis and updates will be posted as they become available at www.nhcs.net and on NHCS Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms.
NHCS families should verify PowerSchool contact information is current to receive Connect 5 phone, email, and text notifications from their schools and the district.
The arrival traffic patterns are consistent with Pre-COVID procedures.
- Students can be dropped off any time after 8:00 to allow staff time to prepare for the screening process.
- Cars can drop students off in front of the school. Follow directions from Isaac Bear staff members to keep traffic moving as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Students that are car riders in the morning should stay in their car until an Isaac Bear staff member approaches and instructs them to step out.
Students will be screened on the spot before their ride leaves. If a car rider has a temperature or is exhibiting signs of having COVID-19, they will not be allowed into the school.
Students that ride the bus will also be screened upon arrival. Please make sure that if you ride the bus, that you have completed the Bus Attestation Form that is located on the NHCS Transportation website.
They will have their temperature taken by use of a no-touch thermometer and asked questions regarding any possible exposures or new symptoms.
- After students are tested and have answered the required questions, they will be directed to a waiting area until they are allowed into the classrooms. There will be separate locations for freshmen and sophomores.
Students have been divided into two groups for Plan B. The group that will attend school in-person on Mondays and Tuesdays have last names A-K. The group that will attend school in-person on Thursdays and Friday have last names L-Z.
On the days that students are not in-person, they are still expected to complete assignments and attend required online learning as outlined by the student's teachers.
For information regarding bus routes and procedures, please refer to the information on the NHCS Transportation website.
Each classroom has been set up for socially distanced learning, ensuring that every desk/seat is at least 6 feet away from all surrounding desks/seats.
There are Hand Sanitizer Stations located on either end of the hallway, as well as near the bathrooms and cafeteria. These are hands-free stations and do not require students to touch anything to receive hand sanitizer.
The floors of the hall are marked with 6-feet distance markers and directional arrows to show students how to stay socially distant when in the hallways.
- A Hands-Free Reverse Osmosis machine has been installed in the cafeteria for refilling water bottles. Students will not be allowed to use the water fountains located outside of the bathrooms.
- While inside of the building, students and staff are expected to wear there mask at all times, unless eating or drinking.
- Teachers and support staff will also be sanitizing each desk and frequently touched location regularly before, during, and after the school day.
- For more information about socially distance learning and expectations in the school, please refer to the NC Public Schools Health Toolkit.